Proper maintenance of your home will grow or retain its value. As your home is a major asset, hire qualified contractors when making major repairs or renovations. Here are some tips for choosing qualified contractors to work on your home.
1. Obtain at least 3 estimates from various contractors, along with the names and phone numbers of 2 clients who have experienced their work. Also, obtain recommendations from family and friends. Do the homework and call their references.
2. Ask for a written estimate from the contractor. Do not deal with contractors that charge for obtaining an estimate. The estimate should include any oral agreements and break down of costs for materials and labor line by line.
3. Do not deal with a contractor who asks you to pay for the entire job up-front. Typically, the standard practice is to pay 33 percent of the job up front and the remaining balance once job is complete.
4. Select the best contractor for the job. Do not automatically select the lowest bidder. Verify that the contractor is licensed, bonded and properly insured. Ask the contractor for workers’ compensation and general liability certificates. You can also contact the Better Business Bureau to see if there are any filed complaints on the contractor: www.bbb.org
5. Obtain a copy of the proposed contract. It should include a hold harmless clause: the contractor will indemnify you with respect to your liability to members of the public who are injured or whose property becomes damaged during the course of construction. The contract should also specify the work to be performed, start and end dates, warranty information and payment agreements. Before signing, seek a knowledgeable person to review the contract.
We hope these 5 tips will be helpful in your search for a qualified contractor. As your home is a valuable asset, it is important that you get the right contractors to repair and renovate your home. We wish you the best of luck!
If you are a contractor looking for workers’ compensation, general liability insurance or a bond, please feel free to contact Bruen Deldin DiDio Associates and we will be happy to assist you.